How to become a BETTER Student . . .STUDENT: AJ Reardon

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Oh gosh, I've been waiting for this moment! To get to write about AJ (again) on our blog! I met AJ in Tucson, Arizona 2011. She was working for a vendor I adore - and I had the pleasure of talking to her later at a local party. AJ is "fresh" and she's "real" and she's so funny! When you first meet her - your impression might be that she's quiet. BUT after the initial introductions - she's so quick, smart and did I say "funny?" And if you want to win my heart for the rest of your life - make me laugh! I adore AJ. If you get a chance - friend her on Facebook - but first read her answers to my How to be a better student questionnaire. 
AJ's Salome's Dance



3.         What is the AVERAGE cost of your classes (don’t need exact, just average):
Honestly can't remember, they were part of retreat package deals.
4.         Do you usually take a class that supplies a KIT? About half and half.  A. If not, what motivates you to take the class? (cost, teacher, friends) Both times I was motivated because the retreat was organized by someone I liked and the teachers were people I wanted to learn from.
5.        When you signed up for your class – did you read the prerequisites for the class or just assume you could learn once you were in the class – in front of the instructor – with the instructions/diagrams in front of you?
I'm a compulsive reader. Of course I read the prerequisites :)
AJ's Phoenix Feathers

6.        Did you learn the techniques you paid to learn in each class (be specific).
Yes, in each case I left class with the skills I needed to finish the projectA. If NOT, please tell us WHY?
7.        What was the best thing about taking the/a class:
Learning from big name teachers and being surrounded by long-distance friends.
8.        What was the MOST difficult obstacle to overcome while taking a class?
Honestly? A stupid obstacle of my own making. Never use black beads and black thread for an all-day workshop!
9.       Was the fee you paid for your class – worth it and why or why not?
Totally worth it. All of the classes I've taken have been part of retreats, and so it's been a big experience... travel someplace fun, learn from the best in the field, spend time with friends old and new.
10.       Adding all your classes together – to make ONE class – what could you have done better – as a student – to get more out of your class experience?
Be a little less shy and star-struck and get to know the teachers better. They're usually very friendly, chatty and willing to impart extra tips if you ask the right questions.
AJ's Guildmistress

  11. OPTIONAL: If you want – write some tips for others who might want to take a class in the future.
Travel prepared! I attended a retreat where we were told our kits would include needles and thread... but only one teacher provided those. I foolishly did not pack any needles or thread and spent the entire weekend bumming off of my friends. How embarrassing! Make yourself a personal class kit that includes your favorite thread, needles, scissors, any other tools you might need or want, and a little pad and pen for taking notes or getting contact info from your new friends.


Like what you've read about AJ? Find her here: AJ's Erthe Fae

Last and not at all least - we have Jennie K. Stephens

Thanks for reading. Leave a comment. Check a box. Join the fun and by all means - share it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...