How to become a BETTER Student . . .FIRST STUDENT: Kristen Ho

Monday, October 3, 2011

I meet Ms. Kristen Ho in Tucson, Arizona 2011 and she was certainly one of the sweetest people I've ever met. She was also very enthusiastic about beading...her enthusiasm was contagious and since then we've become fast Facebook and real life friends who share a common "beady" bond. Of course, it's all about the students - so I'm keeping my normal banter to a minimum! 
Kristen and I in Tucson



3.         What is the AVERAGE cost of your classes (don’t need exact, just average): 

The range is broad from about $25 - $60 – average $45.

4.         Do you usually take a class that supplies a KIT?
            A. If not, what motivates you to take the class? (cost, teacher, friends)

A kit isn't necessary – but it's nice. Sometimes if the kit comes in multiple metals, like sterling silver and copper, I might choose the copper kit to keep costs down.
Usually the kit is extra – so if I have most of the materials already in my stash, that motivates me more to take the class so I can learn a new technique and use up stuff in my stash. Without a kit, another motivator is cost.

Design by Marilyn Gardiner, Chinese Knot - class taken by Kristen


     5.  When you signed up for your class – did you read the prerequisites for the class or just assume you could learn once you were in the class – in front of the instructor – with the instructions/diagrams in front of you?

I definitely read the prerequisites. I never want to hold up other students who might already be “ready at the go”. I have also practiced other techniques before the class so I'm ready. For example, I practiced the byzantine pattern before a class for box chain and was more prepared than I expected.

6.               Did you learn the techniques you paid to learn in each class (be specific).

Yes. I'm not one to be shy. If there's something else I might need to know that could clarify, I ask it when there's a break or its a good time to ask the teacher.


7.         What was the best thing about taking the/a class:

The best thing about the class for me has always been meeting other beaders/students. Learning how they've gotten there, what techniques do they like. I so enjoy talking to fellow beaders who are just as enthusiastic as I am. Although I try not to chat too much because I know that we're there to learn and should be listening. The other thing that's the best is I like to leave with a completed piece.

Design by Dwyn Tomlinson
Class taken by Kristen Ho
Braveheart
 8.            What was the MOST difficult obstacle to overcome while taking a class?

The handful of classes I've taken so far have been so enjoyable... the biggest obstacle I have is to really listen to the instructor. Sometimes I'm so happy to be there and I might have an idea how something is made (horrible for a student to be taking a class) so I sometimes want to skip the necessary intros/basics. Hopefully my answer won't ban me from national classes all over the place!

9.         Was the fee you paid for your class – worth it and why or why not?

Yes the fees paid for my classes were worth of it. The techniques I learn sometimes have a “show and tell aspect” to them. I'm also interested in challenging techniques – an experienced teacher is essential for both points.

10.       Adding all your classes together – to make ONE class – what could you have done better – as a student – to get more out of your class experience?

To get a better experience, I might practice and read up more on what I'm going to learn in the class. Then maybe I'd benefit more from the teacher being there - and I could ask questions to get a better understanding

Design by Linda Hartung - Rock Candy
Class taken by Kristen Ho
11.       OPTIONAL: If you want – write some tips for others who might want to take a class in the future.


            Honestly, I try to be frugal with the classes I take. I'd rather take the money I'd spend on a class and buy beads instead, especially given that my jewelry making is a "serious hobby" not a full fledged business. So my advice is: Make sure you need the class. On the other hand, the classes I've taken HAVE taken my pieces to "another place" more creative for sure. I have certainly benefited from all my classes.



If you like what you've read about Kristen -  you can find her here: Beaded Treasures


Next we have Lexi Schwartz.


Thanks for reading. Leave a comment. Check a box. Share it. 

1 comment:

kmemho said...

I am sooo honored to be your first student! Thank you for your post Kelli! You were the first "bead artist" I met and I am so grateful to you for all of the other introductions you did for me. You made my first bead show in Tuscon sooo welcoming! I can't wait to hang out with you again...
I hope it's ok to mention... my newest pieces get posted here first: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beaded-Treasures/126735859215

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...